Slaking that thirst for innovation
AMSTERDAM _ The pursuit of innovation in yachtbuilding continues apace. One month before their annual event opened, organizers of the Marine Equipment Trade Show had shortlisted 51 products for the 2015 Design Award METS (DAME).
The Nov. 17-19 show _ the world’s largest marine equipment trade show _ marks its 25th anniversary. That silver jubilee sees the launch of the Boat Builder Awards for Business Achievement in 6 categories and a Life Time Achievement Award to be presented at a spectacular gala dinner Nov. 18 in Amsterdam’s National Maritime Museum.
For the 2015 show, 1,385 exhibitors will show up, breaking the 2014 record of 1358. The Superyacht Pavilion has sold out, with 221 exhibitors.
The DAME Award candidates were selected from 108 entries from 24 nations. The 7 Category Winners + 1 Overall Winner will be named on the show’s opening day at the RAI Amsterdam Convention Center. Smart product design has over the years become increasingly important in function, aesthetics, packaging, pricing and industry and environmental impact, says DAME Jury chairman Bill Dixon. “In several categories we found many well-designed items with prices ranging from just a few euros through to high-priced specialist equipment. This is really encouraging.”
The 7 DAME categories are:
- Marine electronics, marine-related software
- Interior equipment, furnishings, materials, electrical fittings used in cabins
- Marina equipment, boatyard equipment and boat construction tools, materials
- Deck equipment, sails, rigging
- Clothing, crew accessories
- Lifesaving, safety equipment
- Machinery, propulsion, mechanical, electrical systems, fittings